Summary of the Presentation at the Cincinnati NIRI Chapter Meeting on August 27, 2013
The Cincinnati Tri-State Chapter of NIRI held its first meeting of the season on August 27, 2013. This incredible event was hosted by American Financial Group/Great American Insurance Group. P&G's John Chevalier, NIRI Board Member and Co-Chair of NIRI National 2013; Ashland’s Regina Bauscher, NIRI Chapter Board Member; and Jason Thompson, NIRI Member and Director of Investor Relations at Ashland, Inc, led a panel discussion covering this year’s NIRI national conference.
Below are several key points from the discussion.
- The national conference provides members with the three key pillars of investor relations; knowledge, network and impact.
- Attending the general session meetings are designed to be impactful for all members.
- Targeting European and Asian investors is a dedicated process.
- You cannot go to Europe once and expect an investment in your company; it may take a year and half and three meetings to get an investment.
- Investors want to see the c-suite in person before they make an investment.
- They use a more thematic approach; tend to be long only, 3+ on average.
- Markets to visit include; London, Switzerland, Germany and Dublin
- Roadshow recommendations – really review the sell side list of firms you are meeting with before and remove firms if you do not want to see them
- Investment firms prefer companies who host investor days; focus more on 3-5 year strategy and less on product.
- Finally, the 2014 NIRI National Conference will be June 8-14 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Additionally, the group discussed the Cincinnati Tri-State NIRI Chapter’s 2013-2014 program interest. Any topics that members would like to propose should be submitted to Ken Lovik.