Highlights of 2016 NIRI Annual Conference
John Chevalier (P&G) and John Morgan (Lexmark) shared highlights and key learnings from the 2016 NIRI Annual Conference, June 5-8 in San Diego, with the group of 11 chapter members attending the June 27 meeting.
The information shared and resulting group discussion were both excellent. A special thank you to American Financial Group for hosting our meeting.
2016 NIRI Annual Conference Report
- Great content and networking as usual; attendance somewhat lower than the prior year
- General session speakers were insightful and inspiring, and industry roundtable sessions are helpful in focusing on unique common issues
- Best session was Senior IR Roundtable luncheon, which featured Frank Luntz, author and well-known political pollster, speaking on effective messaging with 11 powerful words, recent political messages and how techniques translate to company messaging
- Other good sessions included corporate governance, investor outreach and IRO career insight from three executive recruiters.
- Great experience overall and highly worthwhile
- Two of the best sessions were:
- Andy Goodman, author, speaker and consultant in public interest communications, speaking on improving communication through storytelling in order to add powerful narrative to data
- Carey Lohrenz, first female F-14 Tomcat pilot, speaking on “fearless leadership” and the many aspects of preparation with your support team as well as the actual team charged with execution
General Chapter News
- John Chevalier will serve as our chapter advocacy representative and encouraged chapter members to share view of relevant issues.
- John Morgan shared NIRI National’s call for volunteers to participate in the creation of the IRC Chapter Toolkit materials. Please contact John if you are willing to volunteer and/or recommend someone with expertise in one of the 10 subject areas in the IR Competency Framework.